Friday, December 5, 2008

The Truth is a whisper and only a choice.


I just discovered my new freedom.

I hated Nietzsche. He destroyed all logic, burned all the bridges on my path of self-discovery. I found I must make a huge leap of faith, to get anywhere. And I hated it. Nietzsche told me that God is dead. That truth may not exist. That it doesn't exist, in a way, because we can't even know if it exists. I hated this, because I simply cannot live without truth. Without knowing that someday, I will know the truth. Otherwise, I would die (literally and figuratively, in every aspect of the word).

But today, I had an epiphany. I am free. I am free, because God is dead.

I don't have to listen to anyone anymore! I have created my own absolute, or rather, my absolute reached out to me. I don't have to feel guilty for not feeling the same way as other "Christians". I am not a Christian. I have converted. I am an agnostic, who believes in God, because I believe that God reached out to me, God touched me, with music and beauty. I suffer from significant doubt. But I also believe that Jesus is the Son of God, because God showed me this. I believe that God wants me to live like Jesus did.

So, some may call me a Christian. But I am not. Not anymore.


I am free.

2 comments:

Sarah Alison Krauter said...

I am dealing with Nietzsche right now. Don't hate me, but this is what I think. "'God is dead,' proclaimed Nietzsche."
Three little words. Myself being namely a Christian, but more importantly a believer in this God who Nietzsche so boldly declared dead, when I read this I was saddened. And yes, maybe a little bit angry as I recalled the blog of a young lady who had discovered her so-called freedom through her realization of the death of God.
See, I know that Nietzsche was one of the componants of an ideology called "Irrationalism", and yes, I am aware that he had a following and thus must have been rather convincing, but although I am a believer in this God and should of course at once reject the idea of the death of my God purely based on loyalty to my faith and inconsideration of any new idea, I am also an American college student and thus succeptable to open-mindedness, acceptance--at least consideration--of all new ideas posed to me, and there was something about this idea presented by Nietzsche that caught my attention--the word "dead."
Dead by definition is:
1: deprived of life : no longer alive
2 a (1): having the appearance of death (2): lacking power to move, feel, or respond : numb b: very tired c (1): incapable of being stirred emotionally or intellectually : unresponsive (2): grown cold : extinguished 3 a: inanimate , inert b: barren , infertile c: no longer producing or functioning : exhausted4 a (1): lacking power or effect (2): no longer having interest, relevance, or significance b: no longer in use : obsolete c: no longer active : extinct d: lacking in gaiety or animation e (1): lacking in commercial activity : quiet (2): commercially idle or unproductive f: lacking elasticity g: being out of action or out of use ; specifically : free from any connection to a source of voltage and free from electric charges h (1): being out of play (2): temporarily forbidden to play or to make a certain play in croquet
5 a: not running or circulating : stagnant b: not turning c: not imparting motion or power although otherwise functioning d: lacking warmth, vigor, or taste
6 a: absolutely uniform b (1): unerring (2): exact (3): certain to be doomed (4): irrevocable c: abrupt d (1): complete , absolute 2): all-out

Now I realize that everybody has different beliefs and stances on ideologies and issues like this, but I would just like to point out that for those of us who believe in God, none of these terms describe him. To those of us who don't believe in God, sorry, this is probably pointless to you, but I would first like to say that Nietzsche's wording shows the flaw in his ideology, because for something to be dead indicates that it was once alive and a)exists, or b) existed, and anyone who believes that God a) exists or b) existed should have some vauge recollection that God is not confined by human flesh, so death would have a different meaning to God, and if that person believed in the power of God as many people seem to then they would also have to consider that God is more poweful than death as commonly accepted. And if this seems an unacceptable or ridiculous response to some then I would also like to say that in science when a hypothesis is being tested it can fail many times, but if it succeed's one time, then the hypothesis is accepted. For a man to make the statement that God is dead he would have to go all across the world and the universe, overturning every stone, looking for God, and if he cannot find God even then maybe he can use the words in an assumptive way, "God does not exist," but still not "God is dead," because three little words do not seal God's fate, and the hypothesis has yet to be proven. Thomas Edison tried 2000 times to create the lightbulb and each time he failed, but he only needed one to make it work.
Thus, the conclusion of my rant is this:

God is not dead, but He might be under a rock.

Sarah Alison Krauter said...

upon re-thinking this, i wish i had not posted so much. i'm sorry if it was insensitive in any way shape or form.
i'm still learning.
:/

forgive me????